The MBA specialisation in Public Affairs and Leadership is precisely tailored to the ever-changing needs of the political public. The course provides in-depth knowledge of business management and politics as well as communication and leadership skills. A particular focus of the course is the development of individual leadership skills and the ability to self-reflect. Based in Berlin, students will also benefit from an excellent network in the fields of management, communication and public affairs in the long term. The master’s degree enables an intensive interdisciplinary perspective and is therefore future-proof further education in the field of political communication. The MBA at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin is state-recognised and accredited.
With its unique concept, Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin offers its students the tools required to make confident future decisions. Graduates of the MBA specialisation Public Affairs are therefore not only up to date with the latest technical developments, they also have the personal soft skills to assume responsibility in political communication.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Language(s) of instruction
German / English
The MBA specialisation in Public Affairs & Leadership is aimed at experienced professionals from companies, associations, NGOs, political parties, agencies and other organisations in the field of politics and communications. Interested parties must have a first higher education degree and several years of professional experience. Not only high potentials with a focus on public affairs are addressed, but also professionals with a social or political science background, who want to complete their qualification profile with regard to management/leadership.
The Public Affairs specialisation at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences Berlin is designed to be part-time. For this reason, the master’s degree is structured largely within a guided self-study programme in addition to on-campus study sessions in Berlin.
On-Campus Study Sessions
There are different time frames for the periods of attendance. The regular study sessions are scheduled once a month, generally from Thursday to Sunday. In addition, longer study sessions offer the opportunity to combine practical sessions, interactive learning phases and group projects. In order to benefit from the unique network of the Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin and to gain practical know-how, students spend five to seven days in Berlin. A one-week field trip is an integral aspect of all degree programmes, including the MBA specialisation in Public Affairs. In addition to joint, interactive learning through discussion, the guided independent study forms an essential part of the MBA curriculum.
The Public Affairs & Leadership study programme enables in-depth distance learning in the field of political communication. The MBA at the Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin provides online teaching and study materials, such as presentations and practical examples. Digital learning content on topics such as strategic planning, marketing, law or leadership can be accessed flexibly during the course.
Family and Career
The high proportion of independent study within the MBA programme allows students to combine their family life, study and career. Small learning groups enable the teaching staff to meet the individual needs of students with children. The study sessions are bundled together and pre-planned, allowing students to arrange childcare well in advance.
The content of the course at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin is designed according to the EQUAL criteria. The interdisciplinary topics in economics, finance, marketing and strategy are part of the Management & Economics competence area. The Public Affairs specialisation also requires in-depth management skills. The MBA therefore combines management and leadership. Consequently, graduates of Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin know how to negotiate, convince and manage personnel.
The following qualifications are required for the MBA specialisation Public Affairs and will be checked during the application process.
A degree in a relevant business-related subject (e.g. diploma, Magister, state examination, Master’s or Bachelor’s degree)
- Applicants must have achieved at least 240 credits (credits / ECTS points) in total. The required credits are normally achieved with a Magister, diploma or Master’s degree.
- In many cases, a Bachelor’s or comparable degree corresponds to only 180 or 210 ECTS points. Relevant professional experience may be regarded as evidence that you have achieved the credits required. Our student support advisers will be happy to help you in this regard.
At least one year postgraduate professional experience in a pertinent field following a first degree in a relevant subject.
- Professional experience refers to employment in a full-time position. Part-time experience is calculated and recognised pro rata.
An example: If you have worked in a part-time post for a year, half a year is counted as professional experience.
- Whether you worked in one and the same post for the entire period or changed positions is irrelevant for the calculation.
Course-specific proficiency for the MBA in Public Affairs & Leadership
- The MBA specialisation in Public Affairs and Leadership requires relevant professional experience in the field of communication and politics. This includes:
- Roles within the representation of interests of associations, companies, NGOs, agencies and other institutions
- Organisational communication, internal communication, press and media relations for political or politics-related stakeholders
- Roles in political consulting service companies
- Editorial activities in the journalistic field
Proficiency in English
In order to enrol on the Master’s degree course at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin you need to provide evidence of your English language skills at B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. There are different ways to provide this:
- During the assessment process, we offer a free English test.
- If the English language is part of your everyday working life, please contact our programme director to discuss the requirements for proof by the employer.
- If you already have a certificate of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Certificate, etc.), which is not older than two years, this can also be recognised.
Proficiency in German
- Citizens of any non-German-speaking country applying for a German-speaking course must be proficient in German (equivalent to level C1). A degree from a German-speaking course at a recognised German university or a DSH 2 certificate (German language proficiency test for university admission) is normally considered sufficient evidence.
- Allowances may be made for people with severe disabilities or equivalent issues by the Examination and Admissions Committee if relevant proof is provided at the time of application.
Course of studies & dates
Overview of the course
Length of course: 18 months (part-time)
Classroom time: approx. 54 days in Berlin
Online sessions: 8 days
Study trip: Brussels
Important dates for 2019
Application deadline: 7 October 2019
Start of course: 13 November 2019
The MBA in Public Affairs & Leadership consists of eight modules and the dissertation.
- Management I – Economics & Strategy,
This module familiarises you with the principles of economic thinking. The module teaches you the fundamentals of how the economy functions.
- Communication Spheres,
This module introduces students to communication management, giving an understanding of the processes and background knowledge involved. Through the Communication Circle, participants learn about social-psychological mechanisms and sharpen their communication skills.
- Management II – Accounting, Finance & Law,
This module introduces students to the sensitive areas of corporations which communications operatives need to internalise in order to advance to corporate management: business law, accounting, investments and Financing.
- Management III – Organization Design & Governance,
This module prepares you for the management of a public affairs department or division. Participants gain insight into principles of leadership, organisation, management and human resources.
This module consists of detailed coverage of the foundations of legislation and the formal and informal processes associated with it. Students acquire professional skills to utilise in the political arena. At a European level, politics and advocacy conform to their own set of regulations. The module outlines the legislative processes, treaties and relevant actors within the European Union.
- Representation of Interests & Public Affairs,
This module presents and examines a precise view of the relevant processes and actors involved in advocacy groups. Students learn about political parties and important political associations. The module thoroughly outlines the professional field of public affairs and further introduces its normative-ethical principles. Students become acquainted with instruments and methods of modern advocacy through a number of practical exercises.
- Management IV – Marketing & Brand Management,
Public affairs managers must act confidently within the many disciplines in their field. A comprehensive approach requires a practical grasp of corporate strategy and marketing, particularly political Marketing.
- Steering Communication & Strategic Planning,
Planning and successfully implementing communications strategies; In this module, participants learn about the strategic principles of successful campaign management and how to apply them.
Degree programmes for high potentials
The Quadriga University Berlin has a multistage application process. This helps ensure that all participants of Quadriga University Berlin’s degree programmes share the necessary qualifications for an ideal and successful course of study. Furthermore, the university wants to lay the foundation for successful interpersonal learning within the study Group.
The application process at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences Berlin is divided into five stages:
- Advice: in person / over the phone / campus day
- Online application
For all those interested in our M.A. and MBA programmes, we offer numerous visiting days around the attendance phases and conferences on the campus of Quadriga University Berlin.
We will arrange an appointment with you to attend to a course or a conference lecture. During the subsequent talk, the respective professors and our head of studies will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the study programmes.
The webinars at the Quadriga University Berlin clarify all questions concerning the study programmes regardless of location. Thanks to impulse lectures on key areas of the curricula, an overview of the course of studies and the application procedure, and a forum for individual questions, participants can receive an in-depth impression as well as ample opportunities for further exchange.