Communication & Leadership is one specialisation of the MBA Communication & Public Affairs Leadership. In the study concept, theoretical principles are closely linked with practical insights, discussions, and exercises.
In addition to interdisciplinary know-how, the MBA develops the leadership skills required to take on leadership tasks in communication management. Furthermore, the study programme is amended with business coaching, various practical sessions and a field trip to London.
Students work out an interdisciplinary toolbox and learn how to tailor it to their professional requirements. This page provides an overview of the curriculum, admission requirements, the application process and deadlines, as well as all other details of the MBA. Our academic advisors are of course available to adapt the structure of the programme to the professional and private needs of the students.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Language of instruction
The MBA is aimed primarily at professionals with experience in marketing, PR or corporate communications. Students with a first degree in communication sciences or a similar background can adapt their qualifications to the current trends in the profession.
Studying at Quadriga University improves career opportunities in an international and increasingly digitalised sector – and our graduates become leaders in the communications industry.
The study programmes at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin, including the MBA Communication & Leadership, are designed part-time in order to combine studies with career. As a result, the programme is composed of on-campus study sessions and independent self-study.
On-Campus Study Sessions
The study sessions take place on the Quadriga campus in Berlin. Seminars, exercises and projects have an interdisciplinary focus and are supported by contributions from key innovators in the sector. Joint interactive learning through discussions and a constant multinational perspective prepare you for the demands of the market.
The study sessions are scheduled in different time windows, generally taking place once a month from Thursday to Sunday. Occasionally, longer study sessions take place, during which students spend five to seven days in Berlin. The longer on-campus sessions offer a particularly wide variety of courses, practical sessions and group projects. Students also have the option of participating in a field trip to London spanning roughly one week in spring.
Substantial parts of the MBA in Communication & Leadership course is taught in guided independent study, enabling students to gain in-depth knowledge in the field of communication through distance learning. The teaching and study materials, such as presentations and case studies, are provided online. Digital learning content on topics such as accounting, finance, law, and media communication can therefore be accessed flexibly throughout the study programme.
Family and Career
The MBA at Quadriga University can be easily combined with family and career demands due to the high proportion of independent study. Small course sizes enable teachers to meet individual needs of students with children.
The high proportion of independent study allows students to combine their family life, study and career. Small learning groups enable the teaching staff to meet the individual needs of students with children. The study sessions in Berlin are bundled and pre-planned, allowing students to arrange childcare well in advance. Please contact our academic advisors to develop solutions that are oriented to your needs in terms of content and organisation – even if you are unable to attend at short notice or cannot attend for a longer period of time.
The MBA content of the MBA programmes follows the EQUAL criteria. These include the discussion of overarching economic topics including finance, marketing and strategy. Such core economic subjects are part of the Management & Economics competence area. In addition to specific economic contents, EQUAL calls for the teaching of versatile management competencies in the MBA. Leadership in management is therefore a central aspect of our continuing education. In addition to general leadership skills such as human resources management, the programme also provides skills in presentation, negotiation and persuasion.
Certain qualifications are required to study at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin.
A degree in a relevant business-related subject (e.g. diploma, Magister, state examination, Master’s or Bachelor’s degree)
- Applicants must have achieved at least 240 credits (credits / ECTS points) in total. The required credits are normally achieved with a Magister, diploma or Master’s degree.
- In many cases, a Bachelor’s or comparable degree corresponds to only 180 or 210 ECTS points. Relevant professional experience may be regarded as evidence that you have achieved the credits required. Our student support advisers will be happy to help you in this regard.
At least one year postgraduate professional experience in a pertinent field following a first degree in a relevant subject.
- Professional experience refers to employment in a full-time position. Part-time experience is calculated and recognised pro rata.
- An example: If you have worked in a part-time post for a year, half a year is counted as professional experience.
- Whether you worked in one and the same post for the entire period or changed positions is irrelevant for the calculation.
Course-specific knowledge for the MBA in Communication & Leadership
- You should have relevant professional experience in the field of communication for the MBA in Communication & Leadership.
- This includes experience in organisational and corporate communications, press and media relations, internal communication, or similar activities in PR agencies or comparable service companies.
Proficiency in English
- You need, and must provide evidence of, proficiency in English for the course. This can be normally provided with the TOEFL iBT test (internet-based). You must achieve a score of at least 80 points. When you start your studies, no more than two years should have passed since you took the test. The institution code of Quadriga University of Applied Sciences is 6989 for the TOEFL test.
- If you would like to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language in another way, or have already passed another test, please contact our directors of studies.
Proficiency in German
- Citizens of any non-German-speaking country applying for a German-speaking course must be proficient in German (equivalent to level C1). A degree from a German-speaking course at a recognised German university or a DSH 2 certificate (German language proficiency test for university admission) is normally considered sufficient evidence.
- Allowances may be made for people with severe disabilities or equivalent issues by the Examination and Admissions Committee if relevant proof is provided at the time of application.
COURSE DATES & COSTS
Overview of the course
Length of course: 18 months or up to 30 months (while in employment)
Classroom time: approx. 55 days in Berlin
Online sessions: approx. 32 sessions lasting 2 hours each
Stay abroad: Field trip to London (optional)
Application deadline: 7 October 2019
Start of course: 13 November 2019
The first study start in 2020 will be in June.
Tuition fees without scholarship: 29,000 EUR*.
Enrollment fees: 500 EUR*.
Extensive support by partners from one third to half of the tuition fees possible.
*exempt from value added tax
The MBA in Communication & Leadership is made up of eight modules and the thesis.
- Management I Economics & Strategy,
This module provides a fundamental understanding of economics, and how corporations function and operate. Students will also be introduced to corporate strategy and business law.
- Communication Circle,
This module introduces students to communications management, in order to give them an understanding of the background knowledge and processes involved. Through the Communication Circle, participants learn about social-psychological mechanisms and sharpen their communications skills.
- Management II Accounting, Finance & Law,
In this module, students are introduced to a corporation’s sensitive areas: accounting, investments and financing. To find a position in corporate management communications managers have to know how to handle these Areas.
- Management III Organization Design & Leadership,
This module prepares the participant to lead a communications department or division. Participants gain valuable insights into corporate governance principles such as organisation, management, and human resources.
- Research, History & Fields of Communication Management,
The module introduces students to the professional field of communications management; its tasks, backgrounds, uses, and principles. Participants are given a systematic overview regarding what communication management entails, how it is organized and which tools are especially useful.
- Thought Leadership & International Communication,
The module’s objective is to teach students about the various work areas of communications management, such as public affairs, crisis PR, internal communication or change management, because managers need to be well equipped and prepared to succeed in this branch.
- Management IV Marketing & Brand Management,
Communications managers need to be confident and successful in many disciplines in their field. Marketing and brand management in particular are an essential part within the communication management sector. Students finish the module with their own project, adding to the knowledge they have acquired on the topic.
- Steering Communication & Strategic Planning,
Planning and implementing communications strategies plus demonstrating measurable success – within the Strategy Circle, participants learn about the strategic foundations of successful communication management and how to practically apply them.
Degree programmes for high potentials
The Quadriga University Berlin has a multistage application process. This helps ensure that all participants of Quadriga University Berlin’s degree programmes share the necessary qualifications for an ideal and successful course of study. Furthermore, the university wants to lay the foundation for successful interpersonal learning within the study Group.
The application process at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences Berlin is divided into five stages:
- Advice: in person / over the phone / campus day
- Online application
For all those interested in our M.A. and MBA programmes, we offer numerous visiting days around the attendance phases and conferences on the campus of Quadriga University Berlin.
We will arrange an appointment with you to attend to a course or a conference lecture. During the subsequent talk, the respective professors and our head of studies will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the study programmes.
The webinars at the Quadriga University Berlin clarify all questions concerning the study programmes regardless of location. Thanks to impulse lectures on key areas of the curricula, an overview of the course of studies and the application procedure, and a forum for individual questions, participants can receive an in-depth impression as well as ample opportunities for further exchange.