The MBA specialisation in Human Resources is aimed at HR professionals and related professions. Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin combines leadership, business administration and HR management in one course in a manner geared towards the real needs of business. The MBA Leadership & Human Resources specialisation therefore places a strong focus on individual development and training of leadership skills. Students acquire innovative expertise and learn potential-based assessment and evaluation methods that enable them to use HR as a vital part of companies’ digital transformation. Students of the Human Resources specialisation benefit from interactive and intensive exchange with lecturers and fellow students from a variety of companies, organisations, agencies and NGOs. Additionally, the unique network of international innovators from the world of business allows them to take a closer look at their own discipline and beyond their own industry. With the Master’s degree in the Human Resources specialisation, students acquire the professional confidence to make goal-oriented decisions even under the dynamic conditions of future challenges.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Language(s) of instruction
English / German
The MBA Leadership specialisation in Human Resources is designed as a CPD course and is primarily aimed at experienced professionals. The Human Resources specialisation of the MBA focuses not only on senior positions in HR management; it is also aimed at leaders working in fields where HR processes are highly relevant.
The courses at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin are usually attended while in employment, and the MBA Leadership specialisation in Human Resources is no different. The Master’s programme therefore includes on-campus study sessions and self-study.
On-Campus Study Sessions
The on-campus study sessions take place on the Quadriga campus in the heart of Berlin. The interdisciplinary focus of the seminars, exercises and projects is supported by contributions from important innovators in the sector and thus provides students with practical know-how. Joint interactive learning through discussions and a constant multinational perspective prepare you to take on a leading role, ready to face the demands of a complex market.
The study sessions are scheduled once a month, generally from Thursday to Sunday. Additionally, the Human Resources specialisation includes a one-week long field trip abroad, strengthening the course’s international perspective.
Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin attaches a great deal of importance to guided self-study and therefore provides online learning content on topics such as transformational leadership, controlling, law, and service management. The MBA Leadership specialisation in Human Resources provides flexible opportunities to prepare for study sessions and apply learned content, as well as project and group work.
Family and Career
The MBA programme at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin is also an attractive study model for students with family obligations. The high proportion of independent study allows students to combine their family life, study and career. The small group sizes means that the teaching staff can meet the individual needs of students with children. What’s more, the classroom days are bundled and pre-planned, allowing students to arrange childcare well in advance.
The content of the MBA programmes is based on the EQUAL criteria. The overarching economic topics presented in the courses – such as economics, finance, marketing and strategy – originate in the Management & Economics area of expertise. They are therefore taught by lecturers from these disciplines. What’s more, the EQUAL criteria require that the MBA teaches diverse management skills. Hence, leadership in management is a key aspect of the Human Resources specialisation. In addition to general leadership skills, this also includes communication management and skills in presentation and demonstration, negotiation and persuasion.
The following qualifications are required for the MBA Leadership specialisation in Human Resources at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin:
A degree in a relevant business-related subject (e.g. diploma, Magister, state examination, Master’s or Bachelor’s degree)
- Applicants must have achieved at least 240 credits (credits / ECTS points) in total. The required credits are normally achieved with a Magister, diploma or Master’s degree.
- In many cases, a Bachelor’s or comparable degree corresponds to only 180 or 210 ECTS points. Relevant professional experience may be regarded as evidence that you have achieved the credits required. Our student support advisers will be happy to help you in this regard.
At least one year postgraduate professional experience in a pertinent field following a first degree in a relevant subject.
- Professional experience refers to employment in a full-time position. Part-time experience is calculated and recognised pro rata.
That means: If you have worked in a part-time post for a year, half a year is counted as professional experience.
- Whether you worked in one and the same post for the entire period or changed positions is irrelevant for the calculation.
Course-specific knowledge for the MBA in Leadership specialisation in Human Resources
- You should be able to demonstrate relevant professional experience in HR management, or sound experience in HR-relevant processes in other functional areas for the MBA specialisation in Human Resources.
Proficiency in English
- You need, and must provide evidence of, proficiency in English. This can be normally provided with the TOEFL iBT test (internet-based). You must achieve a score of at least 80 points. When you start your studies, no more than two years should have passed since you took the test. The institution code of Quadriga University of Applied Sciences in Berlin is 6989 for the TOEFL test.
- If you would like to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language in another way, or have already passed another test, please contact our directors of studies.
Proficiency in German
- Citizens of any non-German-speaking country applying for a German-speaking course should be proficient in German (equivalent to level C1). A DSH 2 certificate (German language proficiency test for university admission) or a degree from a German-speaking course at a recognised German university is normally considered sufficient evidence.
- Allowances may be made for people with severe disabilities or equivalent issues by the Examination and Admissions Committee if relevant proof is provided at the time of application.
Course details & dates
Overview of the course
Length of course: 18 months (while in employment)
Classroom time: approx. 50 days (in Berlin)
Online-Sessions: approx. 24 sessions lasting 2 hours each
Study trip: 6 days in Singapore
Important dates 2019:
Application deadline: 7 October 2019
Start of course: 13 November 2019
The MBA in Leadership & Human Resources is made up of eight modules and the thesis.
- Corporate Strategy & Managerial Economics,
This module deals with aspects of business which you need to understand in order to carry out managerial functions: strategic management, organisational theory and change management. In addition to the importance of governance systems, the influence of financial parameters on a company’s or organisation’s scope of action will be discussed.
- Management of Accounting, Finance, Controlling & Law,
Through the lectures, students become familiar with operational areas that sales and organisational developers need to internalise in order to play a decisive role within corporate management: accounting, investment and finance. Students are taught how to use financial controlling instruments with regard to incentive structures and performance measurement.
- Supply-Chain-Management & Operations,
To improve a sales sector’s approach, personnel and organisational development managers must have an understanding of which processes and structures within a company create value and secure competitiveness. This module provides an introduction to the structural parameters of production processes and outlines the targeted utilisation of management tools.
- Marketing, Sales- & Servicemanagement,
This course familiarises you with tasks and processes within a corporation that are primarily market- or customer-oriented: product and service management, sales and marketing. The module demonstrates various possibilities of designing an organisation’s service portfolio, geared specifically towards its target group.
- Communication based Leadership,
This module provides an introduction to the tasks, operating methods and principles of communication management. The course concludes with practical exercises which improve your managerial communication skills in different contexts.
- Competence & Potential based Leadership,
Modules 1-5 conclude with the creation of professional job profiles and functions. These are used as frameworks to coordinate managerial tasks in all departmental areas, creating a corporate strategy within the framework of strategic skills management and employee potential analysis. For this purpose, personnel development tools are trialed.
- Human Resources in Organizations,
This module addresses leadership in HR management: Alongside the development of leadership skills, improvements of HR skills as a team, analysing effective organisational units is also covered.
- Transformational Leadership in Organizations,
In this module, the lectures familiarise you with in-depth aspects of strategic human resources and organisational development: performance and talent management, compensation models, diversity in organisations, systemic coaching and transformational leadership. The module concludes with aspects of corporate ethics that are becoming increasingly relevant to decision makers.
Degree programmes for high potentials
The Quadriga University Berlin has a multistage application process. This helps ensure that all participants of Quadriga University Berlin’s degree programmes share the necessary qualifications for an ideal and successful course of study. Furthermore, the university wants to lay the foundation for successful interpersonal learning within the study Group.
The application process at Quadriga University of Applied Sciences Berlin is divided into five stages:
- Advice: in person / over the phone / campus day
- Online application
For all those interested in our M.A. and MBA programmes, we offer numerous visiting days around the attendance phases and conferences on the campus of Quadriga University Berlin.
We will arrange an appointment with you to attend to a course or a conference lecture. During the subsequent talk, the respective professors and our head of studies will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the study programmes.
The webinars at the Quadriga University Berlin clarify all questions concerning the study programmes regardless of location. Thanks to impulse lectures on key areas of the curricula, an overview of the course of studies and the application procedure, and a forum for individual questions, participants can receive an in-depth impression as well as ample opportunities for further exchange.