Why can‘t we all get along and focus on our issues? A common complaint among political actors in international bodies. Institutions such as the European Union, the African Union and the United Nations find it increasingly difficult to organize public and private interests. But more and more national problems require global solutions. Political dialogue has become challenging for various reasons: frequent policy reversals in individual countries make for unstable policy and business climates, nationalism is gaining ground and extreme leaders rarely listen to moderate views. In today‘s world, political actors from the public and private sectors show signs of being short-sighted in the way they process information and calculate the interests of others. Yet, policy innovation and political reforms are possible once public and private leaders know how to engage in effective communication and joint problem-solving.
- The essence of international political dialogue: how bargaining, understanding and collaboration work
- Polarization, partisanship, rancour: how to build trust with different cultures
- Win or lose? how to overcome constraints on agreement in international politics
- Papers: how to prepare and write for international audiences
- National norms of cooperation: how to use them in international communication
- Joint problem-solving: how to use collective intelligence for the good of the results
- Lessons from the EU and other bodies: how to create conditions for successful political dialogue
- Practical advice & case studies
Lecture, problem analysis and discussion, working tutorials
You will understand how joint problem-solving works in international relations.
You will be able to make and respond to political claims, arguments and proposals in international bodies and panels with the objective of reaching mutually acceptable and enduring agreements.
Companies, organizations, institutions and NGOs that prepare public affairs and communication strategies and papers for international bodies and panels
Arrival & services
The conference fee already includes the meeting package (coffee breaks, lunch and seminar drinks) and the seminar documents (handout, etc.). The price does not include a hotel reservation at the venue. We ask you to make your travel planning accordingly.